Saturday, May 14, 2011

ZUCCHINI BAKE


It's been far too long since I have actually used a cookbook. And there is no good reason for it! I love all of the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks and this one had just been collecting dust. Well, not any more! I was searching for a recipe that was off the beaten path, and I stumbled upon this one. It's not often that I make meatless meals, but this one looked to interesting to pass up.

Zucchini Casserole


10 zucchini sliced
2 c. shredded mozz cheese
7 oz. can diced green chilis
2 c. shredded ched chesse
3/4 c. biscuit baking mix
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
grated Parm cheese

Lightly oil a 13"x9" baking dish and layer as follows: 1/3 of the zucchini slices, mozz cheese, chilies, 1/3 zucchini slices, ched cheese, remaining zucchini. - The only change that I made here was to split the chilies and use them on both layers. And if you have more on hand, use it! It won't be too spicy, I promise. Oh, and I didn't use all of my zucchini. I was just sick of cutting them....



Combine biscuit baking mix, milk, and egg. Spread over top of casserole. - Ummm.... I don't think this was enough. But then again, maybe was supposed to be super thin and not cover the entire thing? Either way, I didn't see the point of it. Feel free to skip this step.

Before biscuit mix. Look at those killer slices!

Sprinkle with Parm cheese and bake at 350 degrees for one hour until golden. Serves 6 to 8. - After adding four cups of cheese, I decided that that was enough cheese for one meal and decided to cut the Parm. (Does anyone else love to abbreviate their cheeses?)



This seemed like a great comfort food. I think it would freeze well too! Just freeze before you bake! Andrew gave this dish a 7 out of 10. I would go with 7.5 because it worked great as lunch leftovers. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment